Student Internships for the Landscape Industry
An internship program is an investment that can yield rich rewards and serve as a valuable recruiting tool for landscape companies. Creating an internship program allows an employer to help young professionals develop important skills, while also promoting long-term career growth in the landscaping industry. Before hiring an intern at your company, take a look at these frequently asked questions and download NALP’s complete guide to Student Internships for the Landscape Industry.
What can the company expect to gain from an internship venture?
- Long-term potential for loyal, reliable employees
- Investment in the industry by contributing to the education of new talent
- Employees with increased communication and coaching skills
- A positive internship experience means the student returns to his/her school as your best recruiter
What are the benefits to students?
- Explore areas of interest prior to graduation
- Gain skills and knowledge that are not available in the classroom setting
- Learn proper techniques in a safety-minded, friendly environment
- Earn income to help with tuition and other college expenses
- Have the competitive edge when seeking employment in the industry
- Develop leadership and resource management skills
What are the requirements of taking on an intern?
- Commit to the amount of time and money the program will take. Interns are high maintenance and need a coach/mentor
- Be willing to deal with questions about why things are done “that way”
- Match a mentor’s skill set and area of strength to the intern’s
- Follow through. Hold regular, frequent meetings with the intern to assess the relationship
Post a Job
Employers: Post a job to attract talent to your team.